This recipe is from Chef Mark Millwood of That Boy Good BBQ. It was served at the Sunset Grilling With The Masters series at Twenty/20 Grill in Carlsbad Ca. It is one of my favorite salads as the complexity of textures and flavors work really well together.
Grilled Watermelon Salad – Chef Mark Millwood That Boy Good BBQ
4 1”Thick slices of Watermelon
Ancho Chile Rub
½ tsp Ancho Chile Powder 1 tsp Brown Sugar
½ tsp Smoked Paprika 1 tsp White Sugar
¼ tsp Cumin ½ tsp Onion Salt
Grilled Watermelon Method:
1. Mix all rub ingredients together. Rub four 1” thick slices of watermelon with the rub and allow to sit for 5 min.
2. Place Watermelon on extremely hot grill for 30-45 seconds on each side creating nice pronounced grill marks.
3. Place in refrigerator after grilling to cool.
Flash Pickled Red Onion Ingredients
1 Red Onion Julienned Thin. 2 tbs White Sugar
1 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar Salt and Pepper to Taste
Flash Pickled red Onion Method
1. Bring Vinegar, Sugar, and Salt and Pepper to Boil
2. Place Red onion in a glass or plastic bowl and pour hot vinegar mix over and cover
3. Allow to cool in refrigerator
¼ cup Vinegar liquid from Pickled Onions
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
¾ cup Salad oil
1. Wisk mustard into vinegar. Slowly drizzle oil while wisking rapidly to create emulsion.
¼ lb Baby Arugula ½ cup Feta Cheese Crumbles
½ pint Cherry Tomatoes Halved 2 tbs Toasted pine Nuts2 cups Grilled Watermelon (Diced) ½ tsp Sea Salt ½ cup Pickled Red Onion (Drained) Pepper to taste ¼ Cup Vinaigrette
1. Place first four ingredients in large salad bowl. Toss with vinaigrette
2. Place equal amounts on four chilled salad plates.
3. Garnish with Feta, Pine Nuts, and Salt and Pepper. Enjoy